August 30, 2009

SARGENT FAMILY REUNION

Just about every year we go to Bear Lake for our reunion. It is my immediate family, starting from my dad down. My mom was born there and my parents built a house there when they retired, so it has a lot of sentiment for us. I look forward to it every year. I am in charge of it next year. Wish me luck!
One morning we went with Tyler and Alicia to the Wildlife Preserve to take pictures. We got there a little late to see all the birds that are usually there. I was messing around and took a picture through the binoculars. I thought it looked cool. Horatio the frog, playing in the cat-tails. This is about all we saw as far as birds. There were a lot of ducks here. There were some really cute ducklings, too. We saw a muscrat, but it took off and swam into the weeds before we could get a picture. The little sucker was fast! This is a natural spring up one of the canyons. This is one of the few rare ones that you can actually drink. It's delicious water.Tyler and Alicia at the spring. My niece Jessie and my new nephew, Riley. He married Whitney in June. I think she was laughing too hard to actually drink.
At the ice cave. Tyler was rapelling into the cave. The snow never melts in this cave. You can go deep into the rocks and there is a cavern with lots of ice and an ice pond. At the lake. Is it any wonder that all the kids love Calvin? He likes to spend time doing stuff like sand castles with them. My niece, Jessie. That's the life, huh? Sitting in the water on a camp chair talking on the cell phone.
This is everyone in my family that was at the beach. Lots of people and canopies.
The big family dinner. At last count, we have about 106 people in my immediate family. There are a couple of weddings and a few babies on the way, too. Pretty overwhelming for my dad, who started it all. I am standing by our trailer and the trailer in the picture is my sister's. We park them this way so we have a good spot between them to gather. It works out so well. We had a couple of big canopies up to the left of this so everyone would fit at the seven picnic tables we had set up.
We went to the cemetery Sunday morning. We gathered there because this year is the 20th anniversary of when my mom died. We stood there for about an hour or so and told stories and memories of mom. It really was a wonderful way to end the reunion.
We were able to get a key from my aunt to the house where my mom was born. Most of my nieces and nephews had never been in it. I grew up spending time there so it was really neat to go back and see it again. All of the furniture and flooring, etc. was all the same as when I was a kid which made it even more special.
My grandma cooked on this stove. You have to light a fire inside it to cook. This is actually a tree growing inside the house.
This Book of Mormon belonged to one of my aunts. It was amazing to see it and hold it, looking through the pages. It was printed in 1920. I wish I could have brought it home with me.

1 comment:

The Calls said...

wow that is amazing that all the old furniture is in the house! I love stuff like this. If you and Calvin ever get an itch for history go to the brigham young summer home in st. george! that is pretty cool. Your family is gynormous! and it keep growing! It looks like you all had a good time and I'm so glad our family was able to come to the call family reunion. I look forward to that every year cause it is just so fun to see everyone! And we had a blast with the late night games we played! And we will bring the girls bikes again next year to that was a godsend!