Last Friday I had to have surgery. The doctor thought there was a mass and endometrium inside my uterus and they were going to scrape it all out and do a biopsy. I don't like these pictures, but they're all I have. In this picture they had a big hot rag on my arm to try and make the veins pop up so they could get an IV started. I was really dehydrated and they couldn't get my veins to cooperate. They had already tried 3 times by now. It was getting really annoying.
FINALLY! It took them 6 tries. The anesthesiologist was finally able to get a line in. They tried the left hand, then twice in the right hand, then the bend of my right elbow, then my right wrist, and finally the left hand again.
Getting two of the failed attempts to stop bleeding. I do have to reluctantly admit that by the third attempt I was on the edge of freaking out and started crying. The fifth attempt was the worst. They had already had two different nurses trying to do it and this was the third nurse. This one was in my wrist, and she kept rooting aound trying to find the vein. She moved it left, then right, further in, then back out a little, etc. Holy Pain! She tried for almost a full minute with that one. Every time she would move the needle I would hold my breath and Calvin would have to remind me to breathe. What a nightmare! After that fifth attempt Calvin asked me if I wanted to go home and try again another day. But before I could say "Yes! Lets go!" the anesthesiologist walked in and said he would try. He got it in first try, Thankfully!
Trying to wake up after the surgery. Believe it or not, I curled my hair a little before I went to the hospital. They took all the monitors and oxygen off me before they went to get Calvin so you can't see any of them in the picture. I look really weird without glasses on.
Talking to the doctor. He was explaining things to me while I was drinking juice and eating crackers to make sure I wasn't going to throw up. It turns out that everything is ok. What he thought was a mass turned out to be my odd shaped uterus. Instead of being shaped like a pear, it is shaped more like a Y. Because of the shape, that's probably why I haven't been able to have any more kids and he said I shouldn't have been able to carry Tyler to term, so he is literally my miracle baby. He cleaned out all the endometrium and everything should return to normal soon.
I got these pictures of the bruises left from the IV attempts. I am doing pretty well now, just some leftover dizziness and nausea from the drugs. Calvin has been wonderful and has taken really good care of me. I'm sure he is glad I'm almost back to normal and can cook again. ;)
Scroll down for one more new post.
4 comments:
I'm glad everything's okay. I can't believe they had to try so many times. I think after the 3rd try I would have asked a Dr. or Anesthesiologist (sp?) I love the pictures of the tiger. Amazing tha tyou were that close!
I'm glad you are doing better!
What the heck is that big blue cast looking thing in the top pic? Glad you are doing better. Have you got results back yet?
No results back yet. I do a follow-up with the doc on Thursday. The big blue thing was a hot towel wrapped in a waterproof pad to try and get my veins to perk up so they could try for another IV.
Post a Comment