May 18, 2009

WOMEN'S CONFERENCE, ETC.

I am back in Denver. I went home for Women's Conference and ended up staying an extra week. I had fun, but was ready to come back and see Calvin again. Here are a few pictures from Women's Conference. I was there with Gail, my sister, and her sister-in-law and niece, Tracy and Aubrie. It was so much fun. I definitely want to do it again next year.

During the conference, we went into this room and crocheted around the edges of baby blankets for the humanitarian project. It was fun. We listened to the talks that were being broadcast to that room. I listen better when my hands are busy.

This was putting infant kits together. They were doing school kits and hygeine kits all in this room. I think they put together a total of 32,000 kits that night.

This was as we were leaving the last day. The trees were blooming like this and they smelled really good. We decided we needed a picture in front of them.

Tyler and Alicia followed me back to Denver last Sunday. On Monday we went to Casa Bonita. We had a lot of fun. We did a lot of fun things during the week with them. Get ready for picture overload. ;-) This is the fountain in front of the restaurant.

This is the women's bathroom. It was so colorful that Alicia wanted a picture of it. She made Tyler go in with us, so he did this pose. He's nuts! The food was really good, and there was a LOT of it! We all got so full.
I hate pictures of me. This is the pool and waterfall. I found out later that Alicia's camera took a much better picture than mine did. Hers is below this one.
This was in Black Bart's cave. It is totally dark in there but I have a good flash. Tyler hid behind a pillar and scared Calvin. It was great. Calvin got Alicia a couple of times too.
This is coming out of the cave. Obviously we had fun.
Dangerous criminal. I wouldn't want to meet this guy in a dark alley...
We went to Hammond's Candies and went on a tour of the factory. It is fascinating. This guy is pulling the candy into thin strips by hand and cutting them. Then this girl puts the strips through a hand crank machine that curves it and makes ribbon candy.
This is video of them pouring the hot candy on the cooling table.
After they pour the candy on the cooling table, they add leftover candy so they don't waste it. It melts into the new batch. This flavor was bubble gum.
They gave us a sample of some Chrismas candy that they were making. It was still warm. It was very tasty. They had a box of chocolates that were rejected because they didn't look perfect so they gave us samples. We all had 3 or 4 pieces. To buy their chocolate is around $23.00 a pound! They really do make suckers that big. I hate to think how much they cost though.

2 comments:

Katie Webb said...

Looks like you guys had a great time! I'm glad they could come visit you.

Jaelann said...

That candy factory looks really fun. That is some place we will have to go if we ever get to Denver again. It looks like you guys had great fun. That cave looked really fun too. :-)